PayPal is an efficient service, as long as you always make sure to have a cushion of money in your account. Not having enough cash in your PayPal balance can lead to late payments or prevent you from making quick transactions to other accounts.
There are several ways to add money to your PayPal account, so here's 4 ways to add cash right into your Paypal account.
Looking to withdraw cash from PayPal instead? Check out this handy article.
Set up a PayPal Cash account first
In March 2019, PayPal introduced PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus accounts. These accounts are designed as a place within PayPal where users can store money.
You don’t need one of these accounts to use PayPal itself. You can continue to send and receive money if you have a bank account or credit/debit card linked to your account. But if you want to hold a balance of money in PayPal you need to either have a PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus account.
PayPal automatically opened a Cash account for all active accounts created before the March 2019 cut-off. If you are new to PayPal, you need to open a cash account before you can start adding a balance to your account.
Method #1: Add money to your balance using a linked bank account
If you want to top up your PayPal balance online, you can rely on a number of options.
Follow these steps to top-up your PayPal cash balance using your linked bank account:
- You need to link your local bank account to your PayPal account to be able to successfully complete this process. The name on your PayPal account needs to match the name on your bank account. If not, transfers between your bank account and PayPal account will fail.
- Log into your PayPal account and click ‘Transfer Money’, situated under your PayPal balance on the summary home page.
- On the next page, select ‘Add money to your balance’
- Then follow the instructions on-screen to make a transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account. You can choose to do this using online banking or by visiting your local bank branch.
- Note that it will take about 3 to 5 business days for your money to appear in your PayPal balance. You will receive an email from PayPal to let you know when the transfer is complete.
PayPal does not charge any fees for this service. However, your bank may charge you fees for transfers. Check with your bank before making any payments to confirm what these fees are, so you don’t get any horrible surprises after your transfer!
Method #2: Add money from the PayPal app
Another quick and efficient method to add money to your PayPal account is to use the PayPal app. Designed specifically to make topping up your PayPal balance easy!
Follow these steps to top-up your PayPal cash balance using your linked bank account via the PayPal app:
- Open the application on your device
- Tap ‘PayPal balance’
- Select ‘Add money’
- Confirm the amount of money you want to transfer into your PayPal account. Follow the next prompts in the application to finalize your transfer
Method #3: Add money using the PayPal Cash card
This service is only available to users with a PayPal Cash Plus account and that are located in the US. There is a fee of USD$4.95 to use this service.
A PayPal Cash card is basically a debit card that lets you use your PayPal balance to make regular debit/credit card purchases. It also lets you add money to your PayPal balance.
- Sign up for a PayPal Cash card. Once PayPal has processed your request, they will send you a card within 7 to 10 business days.
- Activate your PayPal Cash card when it arrives. You can do this via your phone, tablet or on a computer.
- Open up the PayPal app and tap ‘PayPal balance’
- Tap ‘Add money’, then select ‘Add Cash’.
- Select a retail location near you that supports the PayPal Cash card. It’s recommended to follow the next steps only when you’re close to the location. You’ll create a barcode and only have one hour to complete the transaction at the location you select. If you don’t get to the location in time, you’ll have to create a new barcode.
- Tap ‘Generate Barcode’ at the bottom of the screen.
- Show the barcode to the cashier so they can scan it and process your payment. Your money will be available in your PayPal account within 15 minutes!
Method #4: Receiving money from friends and family into your PayPal account
This method is particularly useful if you can’t add money into your PayPal account using a bank account.
Alternatively, to top-up your PayPal balance online you can get your friends and family to send you money through PayPal. Money sent to your account will automatically be added to your PayPal balance.
Receiving money is easy, just make sure that the sender has the email address linked to your PayPal account. This will guarantee that the money is sent on time and to the right account.
The only disadvantage to using this method is that whoever is sending you money may end up paying a fee to complete the transaction.
If the sender transfers from their own PayPal account, using their balance or a linked bank account, and in the same currency as yours, then they won’t pay any fees.
However, fees apply when the sender uses a credit or debit card to transfer money to your account. They may also incur a fee to cover a currency conversion, based on the currency they are sending.
The costs of sending money are therefore higher if the sender is transferring money from abroad.
Why you’re unable to add money to your PayPal balance
If you keep trying to add money to your PayPal account but the transfer isn’t going through, it could be because:
- You haven't set up a PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus account
- There is a limitation placed on your account
- The feature you’re trying to use is not available for your region or country.
If you’re looking to withdraw money from your PayPal account, follow our detailed guide listing different methods to get this done efficiently.
Though PayPal is a convenient way for individuals to pay for goods and services online, as well as make or receive transfers, it is certainly not the best option if you are a business owner.
With Statrys, you'll get access to a business account in Hong Kong, or a remote account abroad with full IBAN and SWIFT codes. You'll also be able to make smarter payments in other currencies with our hedged-FX exchange service. Statrys is fully online and requires no physical visit, so why not apply for an account today?