N26 is a German neobank headquartered in Berlin, Germany which was originally founded as a financial technology company.
The neobank was founded in Munich in 2013 and now operates in various member countries within the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) as well as the United States.
It is an online-only, fully-licensed European bank that offers many distinct banking services as traditional banks which can all be accessed through your mobile phone.
What services does N26 offer?
The services N26 offers depend on whether you are based in Europe or the US.
While personal banking is offered in both locations, a business account is designed for small business owners and self-employed people based in most European countries.
Free Basic Account
- Free ATM withdrawals in euros and free payments in any currency
- No account fee
- Account fee of 9.90 euros per month
- Free withdrawals worldwide (in any currency)
- Travel insurance package
- All N26 features included
- Dedicated customer support
N26 has a business account specially designed for small business owners, self-employed individuals, or those who are working on a freelance basis. With an N26 business banking account, you will receive a Mastercard for business spending along with a Maestro card for personal use. You also get 0.1% cashback on all purchases and free card payments worldwide.
Other business banking benefits include
- Comprehensive travel insurance (Allianz)
- Exchange currency at a mid-market rate without paying any extra fees
- Online invoicing
- 10 sub-accounts to help business manage their money and separate costs
- Spend tracking and analytics features to help you keep track of your business
To take advantage of these benefits and sign up for an N26 business bank account you will need to be a resident of either of the following countries:
- The Netherlands
What are the benefits of opening an N26 account?
- There is absolutely no account fee and you get to open a standard bank account for free
- There is no requirement to provide a business registration certificate issued by the local authority where you are currently living when setting up a business bank account
- You have complete control of your finances directly from your mobile phone and you never have to physically visit a bank branch
- There are no fees on card payments made abroad (both online and in-store)
- Easily organize your transactions and keep track of your spending, by labeling purchases with tags and managing your money with 10 spaces (sub-accounts with shared spaces functionality to easily save, append, and budget together with others)
How do I open an N26 account?
An N26 account can be opened online in only 5 minutes directly from your mobile phone by visiting their website here. All you need to do is provide your personal details, follow the steps below and complete the signup process!
However, let's take a look at the eligibility requirements first.
Anyone over the age of 18 can open an N26 bank account as long as they are an EU or EEA resident. To open an account, you will need a mailing address in any one of the countries where N26 operates so they can deliver your Mastercard debit card. Lastly, you will also need a smartphone running iOS 9 or Android 5 or higher.
Step 1: Get Registered & Create Your Account
You can register for an N26 account through the N26 website. The registration process is extremely simple and involves you providing your personal details including your full name, social security number, home address, date of birth, mobile phone number and email address, gender, job title and industry, city of birth, nationality, tax residency, and tax ID number.
You can fill out the online registration form here.
Step 2: Download the N26 App & Confirm Your Identity
After getting registered and creating your N26 account you to double-check your personal data and confirm your identity. You have to download the N26 app, log in and verify your ID. If your address is outside Germany, the ID verification process will involve taking a selfie and a picture of your ID through the N26 App. However, if your address is in Germany, the ID verification process will involve an in-app video call or a visit to the German post office.
Step 3: Connect The App To Your Phone & Activate Your Account
After you have completed the identity verification process, all you need to do is pair your mobile phone to the app to activate your account. When you open the app, you will be guided through the steps on how to pair your phone and activate your account. If you face any issues during this process you can contact N26 support and the customer services team will be happy to help you out.
Step 5: Make Your First Deposit
As N26 is completely online, you don’t have to wait to till your Mastercard gets delivered to start making and receiving payments. To activate your online card, all you need to do is deposit money into your account. You can do this by either transferring money from your current bank account into your N26 bank account or asking your employer to deposit your salary into your account or depositing cash in person if you are based in Germany.
Opening an account with N26 can be a great option if you prefer online banking and are a frequent traveler. You can benefit from travel insurance and easily make international payments without having to worry about delays, complicated security checks, hidden charges, and high bank fees.